[BlackBerry-Python] Progress, at last!

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Jul 25 18:06:46 EDT 2013

Well, I know it's been a long time coming... but things are finally
moving. Not just "will move soon", either, but a real kind of movement
that has actually occurred, like, in the past.

To summarize:

1. There's a first official binary release of Tart on the downloads page
(tart-1.0.zip).

2. There's a major update to all the wiki pages, with lots of
introductory material about Tart including how to build it from source,
and how to get started on an app (the Hello World page).

I noted after my commit that the linked-to Quick Start page doesn't
actually exist yet. Don't let that stop you though. A student in the
#bbx-python IRC channel already got it all working: are you saying he's
a better than you are?! (This is where you say "Challenge accepted!")

Fair warning: although there's a binary release, it doesn't contain the
new packaging utility so you'll still want to "hg clone" the repository
to get that (look in the bin folder).  I'll do a 1.1 release by Monday
with the full monty.

Step-by-step:

1. Install NDK (pre-10.2) in all its glory, getting signing keys, all
that jazz. Run c:\bbndk\bbndk-env.bat to get your PATH set up.

2. Awkwardness: remove the python.exe that the NDK sticks early in your
PATH, and instead make sure you have Python 3.2 installed and in your PATH.

3. Clone the repository, mainly to get the bin/ folder.

4. Install the binary distribution, which gives you a tart/ folder with
all the other goodies.

5. Try running "bin\tart.cmd package -mdebug samples/HelloWorld" and see
if it gives you a working HelloWorld.bar file (which it should if all
goes well).

More to come... feedback or questions welcome.

-Peter