[BlackBerry-Python] PySide for BB10

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Jan 9 10:32:24 EST 2013

On 2013-01-09 09:21, Martin Kolman wrote:
> Process 30396593 (python3.2) terminated SIGSEGV code=1 fltno=11
> ip=783abf7c(/base/lib/libcpp.so.4 at _ZNKSt6locale9_GetfacetEj+0x27)
> mapaddr=0002bf7c. ref=00000010

Looking at this now, it stirs vague memories from when Ritesh and I were
building things in early summer and, I think, we had complications with
using qcc versus gcc... does that ring a bell Ritesh?  I think we had to
force certain things in the command line arguments which, if true, might
be visible in our build instructions.  I'm personally too long out of
the C++ world to really be much help on such things.

> BB10 doesn't like loading additional libraries using LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> This is just a guess, but maybe it kills the app when it tries to load a
> library from its own data folder.

I can eliminate this as a possibility. I've loaded .so files from system
folders, the app's own app/native folder, the app's data/ folder, and
even shared/misc without issue, whether the folder is in the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH or not (i.e. giving full path works too).

> bad Python interpreter
> Maybe the Python 3.2 interpreter on the device is bad and can't handle
> the PySide import ?

Almost certainly not the case either, since we've never been able to
blame anything on the prebuilt interpreter yet. They've actually made
the source available in a private repo, and some of us have reviewed it
a bit. It's pretty vanilla, with a few QNX-isms but nothing that I'd
expect is relevant here. Anything's possible of course, but this one
seems very unlikely.

> Any help will be much appreciated! :)

Micke, Ritesh, does his segfault ring a bell?  Somehow I think this
one's actually got a simple fix but I've erased too many PySide-related
things from my brain in the last few months.

-Peter